The aims of this brief are to
- Identify the pathways through which climate variability and climate change may influence the contribution of fisheries to poverty reduction
- Introduce a framework for analysing vulnerability to climate change
- Provide a global assessment of the impacts on national economies of future climate change on the fisheries sector
- Review livelihood and institutional responses to past climate variability and change in the fisheries sector, and existing attempts to maintain or enhance fisherfolk's adaptive capacity relative to climate change
- Propose policy actions and initiatives that can help build fisherfolk's adaptive capacity to climate change and reduce their vulnerability
Fisheries Management Science Programme, 12 pp.