Key findings in this briefing are:-
- HPAI disease-transmission pathways are linked to the economic incentives that chain actors face.
- Disease transmission risk is strongly related to commercial practices and trade in poultry and poultry products.
- Consumer influences are insufficient to change governance and commercial practice.
- Chain actors face economic incentives to conceal information that is essential for effective HPAI control.
- Sustainable HPAI control will require improved private sector–driven coordination mechanisms that target deficient biosecurity practices in the value chain.
HPAI Research Brief No. 16, 2009. 6 pp.