You must register with the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) if you want to run a day nursery in Wales.
You must register to provide day care where all the following apply:
- the children are under the age of 8
- the nursery is on non-domestic premises
- sessions are more than 2 hours in any one day
- the service is provided at least 5 days a year
About your application
As part of the application process you’ll be asked for detailed information like:
- personal details and financial records
- manager details
- staff recruitment and training
- day care arrangements
- building plans
How to apply
Contact your nearest CSSIW office. They’ll provide you with an information pack and application form.
Fines and penalties
If you don’t meet the standards for child care you can be fined up to £5,000. Your registration can also be suspended or cancelled.
Read the guidance about child care standards below.