Working in the UK as a Croatian national

Purple registration certificate

You should apply for a purple certificate if you want to work for an employer in the UK and can’t get a blue certificate.

You need to be sponsored by an employer first - they’ll give you a certificate of sponsorship number which you need to provide when you apply.

Check your employer is on the list of registered sponsors for this type of certificate before you apply.

You must get a purple registration certificate before you start your job.

Apply for a blue registration certificate instead if you have a degree from a UK institution - you won’t need to be sponsored.


You must have:

  • a job offer
  • a certificate of sponsorship number from your employer

You may need to have a good knowledge of English for some jobs.

You need a letter from your employer instead of a certificate of sponsorship if you’re:

  • a domestic servant in a private household
  • the sole representative of an overseas business
  • a postgraduate doctor or dentist doing a foundation programme

When you won’t need a purple certificate

You don’t have to apply if you:

  • were working legally in the UK without restrictions on 30 June 2013
  • got a UK visa or work permit before 1 July 2013 which is still valid
  • have been working in the UK for a continuous period of 12 months ending on or after 30 June 2013
  • work for an EU company which doesn’t usually operate in the UK (you’re a ‘posted worker’)
  • are a permanent UK resident or you have dual nationality including another European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • are the partner of a British citizen
  • are the partner, child or dependent relative of an EEA citizen (other than a Croatian) or of a person settled in the UK
  • are a member of a diplomatic mission in the UK
  • were granted a blue registration certificate that says you’re highly skilled, eg because you hold a degree

You may want to apply for a blue registration certificate anyway to prove you have the right to work.


Download and fill in the application form and send it to the address on the form. You must pay the £65 fee when you apply by post.

You can also use the premium service at a premium service centre.