1. Overview

The Court Funds Office looks after money when:

  • the Court of Protection decides someone is unable to make their own decisions
  • a child is awarded damages as a result of civil legal action
  • a civil case is waiting to be settled

Someone under 18 will have a ‘litigation friend’ (usually a parent or guardian) appointed by the court to look after their account.

The Court of Protection will usually appoint a deputy to look after an account if someone is unable to make their own decisions. The deputy will have certain responsibilities and powers that the court will make clear to them.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.