1. Overview

You may be able to stop or delay the eviction. You can get advice from charities like Citizens Advice or Shelter.

If you qualify for legal aid you can get advice from Civil Legal Advice, or you can search for a legal aid adviser.

Eviction means your landlord ends your tenancy and you have to leave your property.

The steps that your council or housing association must take to evict you depends on the type of tenancy you have. But the basic steps are:

  1. You get written notice that the council or housing association plans to evict you.

  2. If you don’t leave or can’t come to an agreement, the council or housing association can apply to the court for a possession order.

  3. The court decides whether you can be evicted.

  4. If you still don’t leave, bailiffs can remove you and your belongings.