Copyright Licensing Agency licence

Apply for this licence

Start now


You need a licence from the Copyright Licencing Agency (CLA) if you represent a business, a public sector organisation, or an educational establishment and you want to make copies of content protected by copyright.

Making copies includes photocopying, faxing, scanning and emailing.

The CLA has different licences for different types of organisation. You can get a licence for:

Excluded works

Some works and categories of material are excluded from CLA licences. The CLA website has a list of excluded categories and works.

You must contact the rightsholder directly if you want permission to make copies of excluded works.


You could be sued if you make copies of copyrighted material without a licence.

The CLA can suspend or terminate your licence if you don’t pay the licence fee, or if you don’t follow the licence’s conditions.