Apply for this licence

Start now on the Scottish Environment Protection Agency website


You must be authorised by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) if you carry out any controlled water activity.

A controlled activity is any activity which directly or indirectly has, or is likely to have, a significant adverse impact on the water environment. This includes:

  • any activity liable to cause pollution of the water environment, such as the discharge of a pollutant into water
  • abstraction of water
  • construction, alteration or operation of impounding works in surface water or wetlands
  • carrying out building or engineering in or near to inland water or wetlands
  • artificial recharge or augmentation of groundwater