Consumer rights

The law protects your consumer rights when you buy goods or services. Find out who to contact for consumer protection advice.

You can get help if you’re treated unfairly or when things go wrong. This includes problems with:

  • credit and store cards
  • faulty goods
  • counterfeit goods
  • poor service
  • contracts
  • builders
  • rogue traders

You can call a helpline to get advice. They can also refer your complaint to local Trading Standards Officers who may then investigate on your behalf.

England and Wales

Contact Citizens Advice.

Citizens Advice
Telephone: 0808 223 1133
Welsh language: 0808 223 1144
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


Contact Advice Direct Scotland.

Advice Direct Scotland
Telephone: 0808 164 6000
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Northern Ireland

Contact Consumerline.

Telephone: 0300 123 6262
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Friday, 9am to 4pm

Find out about call charges.

Further help

You can also get information about refunds, repairs and making a complaint from Which?.

Complain to an ombudsman

An ombudsman is a person who investigates complaints about organisations for free. They may be able to help you resolve a complaint without going to court.

There are different ombudsmen for different industries.

You can use the Ombudsman Association to find the right ombudsman for your complaint.

Money advice

You can get free, independent help from MoneyHelper about anything to do with money, for example managing debt.

Buying from an EU country

Contact the Consumer Centre UK for help with problems buying from an EU country.