Apply for this licence
You must have permission to carry out excavations near a road in Northern Ireland.
How to apply
Download an application form from the NI Direct website or call Roads Service.
028 9025 3000
You must give the following information:
- your details
- agents’ details (if applicable)
- location of the works
- brief details of proposed works
- start date and length of works
- whether planning permission has been sought and if so the application number
You may also be required to supply a drawing of the proposed works.
Before the work begins you must pay the Department for Regional Development (DRD) a deposit as security for the carrying out and completion of the works. DRD will determine the amount to be paid.
The consent and deposit will be issued along with a Permanent Restoration Notice and, if necessary a specification showing the required standard of the works. The deposit will be returned when the works have been completed and maintained for 6 months to the satisfaction of DRD.
You must also:
- indemnify DRD against any third party claims which arise as a result of the works
- provide adequate insurance cover
- ensure all obstructions and excavations are marked, signed and guarded from sunset to sunrise, lit and guarded for the duration of the works
- contact all relevant service authorities and establish the position and depth of cables, watermains, pipes etc.
You are also liable for any damage to service authority equipment.
Fines and penalties
You may be fined up to £1,000 if you carry out works without permission from DRD.