Club premises certificate

Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You may need to apply for a club premises certificate through your council if you’re a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men’s club or British Legion).

You need a certificate to:

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests

What the certificate allows

If your club holds a club premises certificate:

  • it may be able to supply alcohol to members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence - depending on what the certificate allows
  • it doesn’t need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private


To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

Check with your council for the exact conditions.

You may have to pay Machine Games Duty on any gaming machines you have on your premises.

How to apply

Apply to the local council for a club premises certificate.

You may need to provide other information, including:

  • a plan of the premises
  • a copy of the rules of the club
  • a club operating schedule

You may need to pay an annual fee.

Displaying your certificate

You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.

You may need to display notice of your application before you get your club premises certificate. Check with your council.

Fines and penalties

You can be jailed for up to 6 months and/or fined if you provide alcohol or entertainment without the necessary certificate or without following its conditions.