When you pass your driving test, DVLA needs to be told before you get your full licence - your examiner will usually do this for you.

If you’ve got a photocard driving licence and your name hasn’t changed, your practical test examiner will send your details to DVLA. You’ll be sent your full licence within 3 weeks.

Otherwise you’ll need to apply by post.

You must exchange your test pass certificate within 2 years of passing your test or you’ll have to retake your test.

Applying by post

How to apply by post depends on whether you have a photocard or paper driving licence.

Photocard licence

To claim your test pass by post with a photocard driving licence:

  • complete the declaration on your test pass certificate
  • send it with both parts of your licence (photocard and counterpart document) to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BJ

If your name has changed since your last licence you’ll also need to:

  • complete a D1 ‘application for a driving licence’, available from the DVLA form ordering service or selected Post Offices
  • provide original documents confirming your identity

Paper licence

To claim your test pass by post with a paper driving licence:

Send all documents to DVLA or use the premium checking service at selected Post Offices.

SA99 1BJ

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.