You can apply for compensation if your conviction has been overturned (or quashed) by the courts and any of these apply:

  • your appeal was successful and it was submitted 28 days or more after your conviction in the Crown Court, or 21 days or more after sentencing for a conviction in a magistrate’s court

  • your conviction was overturned after it was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC)

  • you’ve been granted a free pardon

This online form is available in England and Wales only.

There’s a separate scheme for Scotland. In Northern Ireland, contact the Department of Justice.

Start now

After you’ve applied, you’ll need to send the Miscarriages of Justice Applications Service (MoJAS):

  • the form you used to appeal against your conviction (Form NG)
  • the final version of your grounds of appeal (sometimes called ‘perfected’ ground of appeal)
  • the Court of Appeal judgment
  • the Statement of Reasons from the CCRC

MoJAS may be able to get these documents from the Criminal Appeal Office or the relevant Crown Court if you don’t have them.

Email or send your documents to MoJAS.

Miscarriages of Justice Applications Service

Miscarriages of Justice Applications Service
Criminal Justice Group
Ministry of Justice
4th Floor, Post Point 3.52
102 Petty France