Advice and support

For advice or support, a child can speak to a member of staff, for example:

  • their Custody Support Plan (CuSP) officer, who is the main point of contact for the child
  • a chaplain, social worker or teacher
  • a doctor, nurse or other health worker

Chaplains provide support to everyone, whatever their faith. A child can ask to speak to a chaplain of their own faith if they want.

Support from the youth justice service

Someone from the local youth justice service will stay in contact with the child while they’re in custody. The child can get in touch with them whenever they need.

Friends and family

A child will be able to contact their family regularly, and can arrange for them to visit.

Advocacy services

Children can also speak to someone from an advocacy service.