Check if you need a UK visa: Information based on your answers

You will not need a visa to come to the UK

You can stay in the UK as a tourist for up to 6 months without a visa.

You may want to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK.

What you can and cannot do

You can visit the UK on holiday or to spend time with family and friends.

While in the UK as a tourist, you cannot:

  • do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
  • claim public funds (benefits)
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership. You’ll need a Marriage Visitor visa instead

What you need at the UK border

You must provide a valid passport or travel document. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.

You may also be asked to prove that:

  • you’re visiting for tourism
  • you’re able to support yourself and your dependents during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • you’ve arranged accommodation for your stay
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else)
  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit

If you’re under 18 and travelling alone

You may need to show a letter from your parent or guardian giving:

  • their contact details and consent for you to travel to the UK
  • the name, date of birth, address and relationship to you of the person you’re staying with
  • their consent for you to stay with the person named in the letter

If you’re not staying with a close relative

Your parent or guardian must tell the relevant local authority about your visit if you’re both of the following:

  • under 16 (or under 18 if you have a disability)
  • going to be looked after for more than 28 days by someone who is not a close relative (called ‘private foster care’)

You should bring a reply from the local authority if you have one.

Your answers

Start again

What’s your nationality as shown on your passport or travel document?
Change What’s your nationality as shown on your passport or travel document?
What are you coming to the UK to do?
Change What are you coming to the UK to do?