Change or cancel a presumption of death certificate


You can make a claim to cancel (‘revoke’) or change (‘vary’) the details of a declaration of presumed death from the High Court if you can prove the missing person:

  • is still alive
  • died at a time earlier or later than the time of death in the original declaration

You can also make a claim if you can prove there are other circumstances that mean the declaration of presumed death should be cancelled or changed.

The rules are different in Scotland and Northern Ireland.


It costs £480 to change or cancel a declaration of presumed death. Read the fees leaflet to find out when you might not have to pay.

Make a claim for a declaration of presumed death

You can make a claim yourself or use a legal representative.

  1. Make your claim.

  2. Advertise your claim in a newspaper.

  3. Attend a hearing.