Start now on the Care Inspectorate website
You must be registered with the Care Inspectorate to provide registered care at home services in Scotland.
Apply online, or by contacting your local Care Inspectorate office for an application pack. You will have to pay a registration fee when you apply.
The Care Inspectorate will check your premises, staff and management before they approve the application. You must be able to prove that you meet the relevant National Care Standards.
- provide a detailed introductory pack to explain your service to users - including the aims of the service, the support provided, fees information, complaints procedures and your recent inspection report
- have adequate management and staffing arrangements in place - you must show that carers receive quality training and have knowledge of policies and procedures, that management is supportive and reliable and that the recruitment process is comprehensive and includes the relevant assessments and criminal checks
- have in place written adult placement agreements with users to define the service and set out terms of the contract
- draw up a personal plan for users which includes a mutually agreed tailored plan with a nominated member of staff, and is regularly reviewed
- provide a clean, accessible and secure environment
- provide a service that can be tailored to each individual’s personal and social preferences
- demonstrate competence with aids and equipment for users
- have systems in place to protect users - such as risk assessments, and protection from bulling or harassment
- demonstrate respect for the social, cultural, religious beliefs and private lives of users
- make sure that care workers help with the nutritional needs of users (eg assisting with food shopping or cooking when required) and healthcare provision
The Care Inspectorate will make sure you follow the care standards after registration through ongoing evaluation.
You must follow any conditions attached to a registration. You must display your certificate - or a copy of it - in a prominent place in any premises you have.