Capital Gains Tax on personal possessions

Skip to contents of guide

What you pay it on

You may have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you make a profit (‘gain’) when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) a personal possession for £6,000 or more.

Possessions you may need to pay tax on include:

  • jewellery
  • paintings
  • antiques
  • coins and stamps
  • sets of things, eg matching vases or chessmen

You’ll need to work out your gain to find out whether you need to pay tax.

When you don’t pay it

You don’t usually need to pay tax on gifts to your husband, wife, civil partner or a charity.

You don’t pay Capital Gains Tax on:

Jointly owned possessions

You’re exempt from paying tax on the first £6,000 of your share if you own a possession with other people.