You need a fishing rod licence to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt and eel with a rod and line in England (except the River Tweed), Wales or the Border Esk region of Scotland.

What you need to know

Start now on the Post Office website

You can choose what kind of licence you want, eg 1 day or 1 year.

You only need your name and address to buy or renew a fishing rod licence.

You can go fishing as soon as you have paid for your licence. Take your Post Office till or email receipt with you if you go fishing before your licence arrives in the post.

To change or replace a licence contact the Environment Agency.

Fishing in Scotland and Northern Ireland

You don’t need a fishing rod licence in Scotland, but you need permission.

You need to get either a licence or a permit to fish in Northern Ireland.

  • Takes around 10 minutes
  • Available in England and Wales only
  • Debit or credit card required

In person or over the phone

You can buy your licence at any Post Office or call 0844 800 5386.

Find out about call charges.

Direct Debit

Contact the Environment Agency to set up a Direct Debit.

Environment Agency
Telephone: 03708 506 506
Minicom: 03702 422 549
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

You can also send the Direct Debit form by post.

Your renewal payment will be taken from your account at the beginning of March each year.

Your new licence will be posted to you in April.

Buy a licence from abroad

You can buy your licence online. Use the UK address where you’re staying for the online registration.

You can use the confirmation email as proof of purchase if you don’t get the licence in the post in time for your visit.

For a concessionary licence call the Environment Agency on 044 3708 506 506.

Find out about call charges.

Get started on the Post Office website

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.