You may need a licence from your council to busk in England and Wales.
Busking is not illegal but your council will tell you about byelaws or rules you must observe, such as:
- not making too much noise
- not blocking public highways (footpaths, pavements, open pedestrian areas)
- not displaying notices asking for payment
- not carrying out street trading (you need a street trading licence for this)
- only busking in certain parts of the town or for a limited period of time
Children under 14 aren’t allowed to busk.
How to apply
Contact your council to see if you need a busking licence. You may have to pay a fee when you apply.
You might be able to apply through your council’s website.
Displaying your licence
If you do need a licence, you must display it at all times when performing.