Busking licence (England and Wales)

Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup
For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You may need a licence from your council to busk in England and Wales.


Busking is not illegal but your council will tell you about byelaws or rules you must observe, such as:

  • not making too much noise
  • not blocking public highways (footpaths, pavements, open pedestrian areas)
  • not displaying notices asking for payment
  • not carrying out street trading (you need a street trading licence for this)
  • only busking in certain parts of the town or for a limited period of time

Children under 14 aren’t allowed to busk.

How to apply

Contact your council to see if you need a busking licence. You may have to pay a fee when you apply.

You might be able to apply through your council’s website.

Displaying your licence

If you do need a licence, you must display it at all times when performing.