5. The Valuation Tribunal

The Valuation Tribunal is a free service but you have to pay for your own costs, eg legal help, travel.

Before the hearing

You’ll be given between 4 and 10 weeks’ notice of your hearing date. If your case is urgent, your hearing can be earlier.

You can:

  • appoint someone to argue for you at the tribunal - but you must let the Valuation Tribunal know
  • bring a witness to the tribunal
  • present any relevant evidence to the tribunal - including anything discussed between you and the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

You should bring 5 copies of any documents you will give as evidence.

You have to submit your evidence to the VOA and the tribunal 6 weeks before the hearing. The VOA will respond to this 4 weeks before the hearing.

What happens at the tribunal

The hearing usually lasts about 45 minutes. The panel will decide who will present first.

You and the VOA will present your cases and you, the VOA and the panel can all ask questions.

You may then be able to sum up your case before the panel makes a decision.

There are usually 3 members of the Valuation Tribunal and a Valuation Tribunal Clerk. The representative of the VOA will also attend.

Tribunals are open to the public.

There is further guidance about the process on the Valuation Tribunal website.

If you can’t attend the tribunal

The tribunal can decide on your case in different ways.

Written statements or a ‘decision without a hearing’

The appeal is based only on the written statements submitted by you and the VOA or local council.

A hearing in your absence

You must submit any evidence you want the tribunal to consider at least 14 days before the hearing. The VOA can still attend the hearing.

If you don’t inform the tribunal of your absence, they can dismiss your appeal.

Tribunal decisions

The Valuation Tribunal will tell you of their decision by post, about a month after the hearing.

Appealing the decision

You can the appeal the tribunal decision to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Tribunal). You can only do this if you attended or were represented at the hearing.

You must give notice in writing to the Upper Tribunal within 4 weeks of the date of the decision.

The Upper Tribunal (Lands Tribunal)
43-45 Bedford Square

Make a complaint against the Valuation Tribunal Service

To complain about the way the tribunal was held:

  • tell the clerk during the tribunal
  • make a complaint by writing to the office administering the tribunal

At any point you can ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for investigation.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.