1. Overview

The rates you pay on your non-domestic (eg business) property depend on its ‘rateable value’. This is calculated by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

If you think the current value for your property is wrong you can:

  • contact the VOA and ask them to correct the details you think are wrong (sometimes called ‘making an informal valuation enquiry’)
  • appeal your rates if you and the VOA can’t agree (you do this through the Valuation Tribunal)

You must continue to pay your rates bill during the appeal.

Telling the VOA about a material change to your property may affect the rates you pay.

This information applies to England and Wales only - appeals are handled differently in Northern Ireland and Scotland.