Apply for this licence

Start now on the Waterways Ireland website


Commercial craft used on inland waterways in Northern Ireland must be registered with Waterways Ireland.


Before registration you must:

  • have had the vessel surveyed by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
  • ensure the master of the vessel is in the possession of a Boatmaster’s licence issued from the MCA

How to apply

Register with Waterways Ireland

You must register in order to use the Erne System if your boat has an engine more powerful than 7.5 kilowatts. The boat must also display the registration number.

The Lower Bann Navigation does not require registration, but you will still be required to inform Waterways Ireland of your intention to conduct a commercial operation.