Apply for this licence
You need a licence from the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) if you or your employees work with asbestos in Northern Ireland.
How to apply
Download an application form from the HSENI website. You need to give the following details:
- location of work
- start date on site and expected end date
- description of work
- estimated size of job
- maximum number of workers
- dust suppression or control technique to be used
- anticipated maximum asbestos dust exposure levels
- type of respiratory protective equipment (RPE) to be used and maker’s maximum recommended exposure level
You must submit your application at least 28 days before you begin the work.
The licence will be valid for up to 3 years and conditions may be attached.
You do not need a licence where exposure to asbestos is occasional and of low intensity, or if a risk assessment shows that no-one will have exposure exceeding the control limit.
A licence is also not needed if the work involves:
- short, occasional maintenance activities
- removal of materials in which asbestos fibres are firmly linked in a matrix
- sealing of certain asbestos materials
- in certain cases, monitoring for the presence of asbestos