Apply for this licence

Start now on the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure website


You may need an exemption permit if you wish to artificially propagate your fishery or carry out improvements.

The exemption permit is needed from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) if any these activities would otherwise be illegal, eg taking salmon or trout out of season.

How to apply

Apply online on the DCAL website.

Apllications must be submitted at least 7 working days before you carry out any proposed action.

You must provide information including:

  • intended activities and why you wish to carry them out
  • the species, number, size and stage in development of the fish
  • where the fish are to be collected from (if applicable)
  • how the fish are to be caught and transported

DCAL will consider if your proposed activities meet scientific advice and would be in line with good fisheries management. They must also be satisfied that you are a competent person to carry out those activities.


You must send DCAL records of activities and results of those activities carried out under your permit within one month of the permit expiring.

You must produce your permit if requested to do so by any person authorised by DCAL.