Apply for this licence

Postcode lookup

For example SW1A 2AA

Find a postcode on Royal Mail's postcode finder


You must register with the Home Childcarer Approval Scheme through your local Health and Social Care Trust (HSCT) to be a childminder in Northern Ireland.


You must:

  • be 18 or over
  • have a childcare qualification or have attended an induction course
  • have a relevant first-aid certificate

How to apply

Send form HCC1 to your local HSCT.

What happens next

The HSCT will make some checks, including a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, and contact you to arrange an interview with a social worker.

They’ll write to you after your interview confirming your registration number.

You must renew your registration every year.

Usually, if you’re not registered, employers can’t claim tax credits to help with the cost of the care you provide.