Use this service to apply for a postgraduate teacher training course to teach in a state primary or secondary school, or in further education.
This service is for teacher training courses in England. Learn more about:
You can save your application and come back to it at any time.
Before you start
You need to:
- check the course details and fees - fees may be higher if you’re from outside the UK and Ireland
- check if you can get funding
- check what qualifications you need
- check if you need a visa if you’re from outside the UK and Ireland
When you get offered a place on a course, you’ll also need to:
- confirm you have the health and physical capacity to start training
- get a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you’re teaching students under 18
- apply for a visa if you need one
Primary and secondary postgraduate teacher training qualifications
You need the following or equivalents:
- a degree
- grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs
- grade 4 (C) or above in GCSE science if you want to teach primary
If you do not have GCSE grade 4 (C), you’ll need to show that you can meet an equivalent level. The training provider may ask you to take an equivalence test or show other evidence of your ability.
Further education postgraduate teacher training qualifications
Training providers usually prefer you to have:
- a degree, or relevant vocational or technical qualification
- grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths GCSEs (or equivalent)
If you studied overseas
You can get a statement from UK ENIC (the UK agency that recognises international qualifications and skills) that shows how your qualifications compare to UK qualifications. Some training providers may ask to see it as part of your application.
Get advice and support
You can register with Get Into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service.
A specialist adviser will help you prepare your application and advise you on funding options (including loans and tax-free bursaries and scholarships). You can also book school experience and access teaching events.
If you’re disabled or have a health condition
Email email@example.com if you need extra support with your application.
Find out how training providers can support you if you’re disabled. They may be able to make adjustments for the interview stages of the application and throughout the course.