1. How to appeal

How you appeal a benefit decision depends on:

  • the type of benefit you applied for
  • the date the decision was made
Benefit What to do next
Housing Benefit Contact your local council
Tax Credits Ask for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Follow the PIP appeals process
Child Benefit Ask for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’
Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) Contact Student Finance England
Universal Credit Follow the Universal Credit appeals process
Budgeting Loans Write to your local Jobcentre Plus and ask for a review
Council Tax Reduction Contact your local council
Disabled Facilities Grant Ask your local council for their appeals and complaints procedure
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Contact your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre
Constant Attendance Allowance Contact your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre or the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency if you get a war pension
Guardian’s Allowance Send an appeal form
Vaccine Damage Payment Contact the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit
Compensation Recovery Scheme Contact the Compensation Recovery Unit

Other benefits

You must check the date on your decision letter if you’re appealing a decision about:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Winter Fuel Payment
  • Child Maintenance
  • Sure Start Maternity Grant
  • disability premium (Income Support)
  • Funeral Payments

There are different ways to appeal if your decision was made:

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.