Apply for this licence

Start now on the Civil Aviation Authority


You need a licence from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to be an aircraft maintenance engineer.

There are 2 types of licence:

What you can do

You can, if you have a licence, issue:

  • maintenance review certificates
  • certificates of release for repairs, replacements, modifications, maintenance, overhauls and inspections
  • certificates of fitness for flight


Licences last for 5 years and can be renewed. The CAA will make sure you’re still a fit and proper person to hold the licence.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined up to £2,500 if you do work for which you’re unlicensed.