Apply for this licence

Start now on the Care Quality Commission website


You must register with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) if you run an adult placement service in England.

You must register as a ‘service provider’ - this can be an organisation, a partnership or an individual.

If you’re registering as an individual, but you don’t intend to be in charge full-time yourself, you must also register a manager.


You need to provide your Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure number as part of your application. You can’t complete the application form until you have the green copy of your DBS certificate.

Find out more about DBS checks, which have replaced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks.

You need DBS disclosure numbers for:

  • the providers of the service (whether these are partners or an individual)
  • the registered manager

You can get your DBS check through CQC.

You’ll also have to:

  • make a declaration that you’re medically fit to carry out the role you’re registering for
  • provide details of your doctor and your last employer

How to apply

You’ll need to:

  • give details of each location you’ll be providing adult placement services from
  • list the regulated activities you’ll carry out
  • meet essential standards of quality and safety
  • make a ‘declaration of compliance’

CQC will check your application for missing documents or information and send you a confirmation letter when this is done.

If your registration is successful, you’ll be sent a ‘Notice of decision’.

If your registration is unsuccessful, you’ll get a ‘Notice of proposal’ to tell you why.


There’s no application fee, but you’ll have to pay an annual fee covering registration, monitoring and any changes to your registration during the year.

You’ll get an invoice for the fee once you’re registered.

Fines and penalties

You’ll be committing an offence if you carry out a regulated activity and you’re not registered with CQC. You can be fined and imprisoned.