You can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa if you:
- want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- are aged 18 to 30
- have £2,530 in savings
- have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries or territories
- meet the other eligibility requirements
This visa has replaced the Youth Mobility Scheme visa (T5).
How long it takes
The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you travel.
You can apply from 16 January if you plan to travel on 15 July.
As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity and provide your documents.
You may need to allow extra time if you need an appointment to do this. You’ll find out if you need one when you start your application.
Getting a decision
Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
How much it costs
You will need to:
- pay the application fee
- pay the healthcare surcharge, which is usually £470 per year - you can check how much you’ll have to pay
- prove you have enough personal savings - check how much in the eligibility requirements
The application fee is £244.
How long you can stay
You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.
If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.
What you can and cannot do
- study - for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
- work in most jobs
- be self-employed and set up a company - as long as your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees
- work as a professional sportsperson (for example as a coach)
- extend your stay
- get public funds
- bring in family members on your application - they must apply separately