7. If you inherit property

You have responsibilities if you inherit property.

Selling the property

You may have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you sell inherited assets which have gone up in value since the person died. This includes inherited property.

Get advice from the Capital Gains Tax helpline.

Capital Gains Tax helpline
0300 200 3300
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

If you keep the property

If you already own a home you need to nominate one of your homes as your main home - let your Tax Office know. You can only have relief from Capital Gains Tax for your main home.

You should also register your ownership at the Land Registry - although legally you don’t have to do this unless the property’s sold or mortgaged.

If another owner is still living there

If another owner is still living there you need to agree with them whether:

  • they will continue living there
  • the property will be sold

Their right to remain may be stated in the will, if there is one.

Renting the property

You may have to pay Income Tax on the rental income you make. Get advice from the Tax Office.

If you inherit a property that has a tenant, you have responsibilities as a landlord - especially if you want to sell the property.

Get advice from a solicitor if there’s property involved as part of an inheritance.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.