Use this service to check a tenant’s right to rent your residential property in England, if you are:
- the landlord
- an agent acting on behalf of the landlord
- a tenant subletting without your landlord’s permission
You do not need to check a tenant’s right to rent property in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
What your tenant needs
You can use this service if your tenant:
- has a biometric residence card or permit
- has settled or pre-settled status
- applied for a visa and used the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan their identity document on their phone
If your tenant is an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen, they can continue to use their passport or national identity card to prove they can rent in England until 30 June 2021.
You can also check someone’s original documents instead - for example if you do not have a share code.
You cannot insist a tenant use this service or refuse to rent to them if they want to prove their right to rent by showing you their documents instead.
View a tenant’s right to rent
You will need the tenant’s:
- date of birth
- ‘share code’
The share code will be emailed to you or given to you by the tenant.