You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:
- want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- are aged 18 to 30
- have £1,890 in savings
- have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
- meet the other eligibility requirements
You need to be sponsored if you’re from Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date you travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
It costs £230 to apply.
How long you can stay
You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.
If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.
What you can and can’t do
- study - for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
- work in most jobs
- be self-employed and set up a company - as long as your premises are rented, your equipment isn’t worth more than £5,000 and you don’t have any employees
- work as a professional sportsperson (eg as a coach), doctor or dentist in training - unless you can show you qualified in the UK
- extend your stay
- get public funds
- bring in family members on your application - they must apply separately