You can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa if you:
- want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- are aged 18 to 30
- have £1,800 (£1,890 from 1 July) in savings
- have certain types of British nationality
- meet the other eligibility requirements
You need to be sponsored if you’re from Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan.
It costs £208 to apply.
How long you can stay
You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.
If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.
What you can and can’t do
- work in most jobs
- be self-employed and set up a company - as long as your premises are rented, your equipment isn’t worth more than £5,000 and you don’t have any employees
- work as a professional sportsperson (eg as a coach), doctor or dentist in training - unless you can show you qualified in the UK
- switch into another visa category
- extend your stay
- get public funds
- bring in family members on your application - they must apply separately