Exporting and doing business abroad

Export licences and special rules

You may need a licence or follow special rules to export restricted goods or to sell certain services abroad.

Check the import rules of the country you’re exporting to. Talk to your importer or get help researching your export market.

Animals, plants and agricultural products

Medical devices and agricultural machinery

Chemicals, drugs, oil and gas services and waste

Diamonds, arts, luxury goods

Goods that can be used for restraint or repression

Military goods, services and technology

You must get a licence to:

  • export military goods, or sell military services or technology outside the UK
  • arrange the sale of military goods, services or technology outside the UK
  • arrange the transfer of military goods, services or technology between two countries outside the UK
  • provide classified military information to someone based outside the UK

High-tech goods and services

Some goods, technologies and information that you might not think need a licence may also have military use. These things are called ‘dual use’.

Check if you need a licence if you:

  • export high-tech products like specialist computers, radios and other communications equipment
  • develop software that could be used for information security systems (for example, cryptographic technology)
  • share information, knowledge or skills that could be used to make weapons

Financial sanctions

You may not be allowed to export to anyone on the financial sanctions list.