Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Technology community (technical architecture)
The cross-government technical architecture community exists to:
- share knowledge and information about technical architecture for government services
- discuss and challenge the way technical architecture works for government services
- bring together people from across government with an interest in technical architecture
Who the community is for
You might be interested in this community if you’re involved in any aspect of technical architecture, for example:
- choosing technology (eg languages, frameworks or software) for a service
- giving technology advice and being the technical voice in conversations about service design
- making a service secure
- testing the security and performance of a service
You don’t need to be a technical architect to join.
Join the community
Use the technical architects Google group to discuss cross-government technical architecture issues (request access using your government email address).
If you can’t access this group, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Training and events
The community holds regular:
- cross-government architecture lunches
- cross-government architecture drinks
These alternate on a monthly basis.
You can find information about meetups in the technical architects Google group.
The technology at GDS blog discusses how GDS builds, assembles and runs its software.
Technical architecture in the Service Manual
These guides show what we currently believe to be best practice for technical architecture in government:
- Choosing your technology: an introduction
- Using HTTPS
- Quality assurance: testing your service regularly
- Exploratory testing
- Test your service’s performance
- Vulnerability and penetration testing
- Moving away from legacy systems
- How to email your users
- Making source code open and reusable
- Protecting your service against fraud
- Working with cookies and similar technologies
- Working with open standards
Help us keep the Service Manual up to date by:
- contributing to community discussions
- telling us if something is wrong or out of date using the feedback link at the top of each guide
- Last update:
Added a link.
Added a link to the moving away from legacy systems guide.
Added new community information
Received green light from community lead to add in links to cross-government Google group.