Beta This is new guidance. Complete our quick 5-question survey to help us improve it.
Performance and data analysis community
The performance and data analysis community exists to:
- bring together people from data and analysis professions across government
- develop analytics knowledge and skills across government
- discuss and challenge the way government uses digital and non-digital data to improve services and content
Who the community is for
You might be interested in this community if your work involves:
- creating performance frameworks, setting metrics and KPIs
- creating dashboards
- choosing analytics technology and tools
- deciding how to technically implement digital analytics tools
- exploring new analytics techniques
- helping agile teams make data-driven improvements to a service or content
You can use these online spaces to discuss data analysis issues:
Digital Analysts UK Government Services (DAUGS) Basecamp - the main cross-government forum for issues related to service performance (request access using your government email address)
GOV.UK performance analysts Basecamp - a discussion space for anyone using analytics to measure the performance of GOV.UK
UK Government Digital #performanceanalysis Slack channel - a place to share real-time news and discussions (create a Slack account using your government email address)
If you can’t access any of these discussion spaces, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Training and events
The DAUGS group has a meetup roughly every two months. There’s usually a guest speaker from outside government, 2 presentations and some workshops.
For information and invitations to the meetups, join the DAUGS Basecamp (request access using your government email address).
The community also runs the following regular training sessions:
- Introduction to Google Analytics
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
Find out about these sessions on the GOV.UK performance analysts Basecamp (request an invite to this group by emailing email@example.com).
Use these resources to learn more about data analysis in government:
- GDS Performance Framework - a set of principles for using data to improve transactional data
- GDS data blog - discusses the tools and techniques that GDS uses for data analysis
- Inside GOV.UK blog - discusses how user insights from data and research have helped improve GOV.UK
Data analysis in the Service Manual
These guides show what we currently believe is best practice in data analysis for government services:
- Using data to improve your service: an introduction
- Choosing digital analytics tools
- Measuring digital take-up
- Measuring user satisfaction
- Measuring completion rate
- Measuring cost per transaction
- Sharing data on the Performance Platform
Help us keep the Service Manual up to date by:
- contributing to community discussions
- telling us if something is wrong or out of date using the feedback link at the top of each guide
- Last update:
Added link to the digital analysts UK government services (DAUGS) Basecamp.