Residence documents for foreign nationals in the UK

If you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein - or your family member is - you can no longer prove your right to live in the UK using a:

  • UK residence card
  • permanent residence card
  • derivative residence card

You can only use your UK residence card, permanent residence card or derivative residence card at the border to enter the UK if:

  • you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021

You can also use one of these residence documents - before they expire - to:

  • show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK
  • help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services

You can no longer apply for a new residence document, but if you applied on or before 31 December 2020 your application will still be considered.

To continue living in the UK, you need another type of permission to stay, such as settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021 for most people.

You can still apply if you or a family member were living in the UK by 31 December 2020 and one of the following applies:

  • you have a later deadline - for example, you’re joining a family member in the UK
  • you have reasonable grounds for being unable to apply by 30 June 2021 - for example, if you had an illness, or were the victim of domestic abuse

If you’re joining a family member, you can apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit to come to the UK, and apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once you’re here.

Check if you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you cannot apply, check what type of visa you’ll need to come to the UK.