Most tenants have the right to renew their business lease when it ends.
However, there are certain tenants who do not have this right.
Business tenancies without renewal rights
You do not have automatic renewal rights if:
- you’re a farm business tenant
- you’re a mining tenant
- you’re a service tenant employed by the landlord
- you’re on fixed-term tenancy of 6 months or less
- you waived your right to renew at the start of your lease
The landlord’s right to refuse
Your landlord can refuse to renew your lease if:
- you’re in breach of your obligations (for example, you’ve not paid your rent)
- they want to use the premises themselves, for their business, or to live there