Get a police check on someone that has contact with a child

You can ask the police to check if someone that has contact with a child has a record of sexual offences.

‘Contact’ means the person has enough access to a child to pose a real risk of harm. For example:

  • they live or work in a household with the child
  • they talk to the child online or over the phone
  • they could meet the child unsupervised through access to shared common areas, like gardens or corridors, or through a relationship with the child’s family

Call 999 if you think the child is in immediate danger.

You do not have to be a relative of the child you’re concerned about to ask for a check.

The results of the check will only be shared with the people best placed to protect the child. This will usually be a parent, guardian or carer.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

How to ask for a police check

You can:

  • call 101
  • go to a local police station

Depending on where you live, you may also be able to ask through an online form. Look up your local police force to see if they offer this service.

When you ask for a check, you’ll need to:

  • prove your identity using photographic ID, like a passport or driving licence
  • say why you want to have the person checked
  • explain what your relationship to the child is