When you need it

Farms are covered by the same planning regulations as other types of property. Some planning rules include special conditions for agricultural buildings and land.

You need planning permission if:

  • you want to change how you use your land or buildings from farming to something else
  • you want to build a house on the land

You will also usually need planning permission if you are applying for a grant to fund a project that needs a building or other development.