You can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for financial help if you need to give an employee a tax refund and can’t pay for it yourself.

You’ll need a Government Gateway account to sign in.

If you’re an agent use the email form instead.

Start now on the HMRC website

You normally pay for an employee’s tax refund by reducing your next payment to HMRC by the amount of the refund. You can reduce your payment of tax, National Insurance, Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) deductions or student loan deductions.

Apply for help if reducing your payment to HMRC doesn’t cover the tax refund.

You should get the refund within 3 weeks if your application is successful.

If you need to give more than one employee a tax refund, send a separate application for each.

HMRC may reject your application if your payments aren’t up to date.

Through your agent

An agent can apply for you, but HMRC can only contact them about your application if you’ve used Form 64-8 to authorise them.