Using National Savings and Investments

You can ask National Savings and Investments (NS&I) to pay money from the deceased’s accounts or investments to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You’ll have to send documents to both organisations to pay a bill this way.

Do not pay this way if you need to get probate quickly.

What to send to NS&I

You’ll need to fill in an NS&I claim form. You can get the form:

  • online
  • by contacting NS&I by phone or post

Contact NS&I
Telephone: 08085 007 007
7 days a week, 7am to midnight
Find out about call charges

National Savings and Investments
G58 1SB

Send the completed form to NS&I. You’ll need to include documents that prove you can claim the savings - the form will tell you what to send.

NS&I will then send you a ‘valuation letter’ showing the value of the deceased’s NS&I savings and investments at the date of death.

What to send to HMRC

Write to HMRC after you’ve sent your claim form to NS&I.

Tell HMRC which NS&I investments you want to use to pay Inheritance Tax and how much you want to pay. You’ll need to include:

Do not send original passbooks or certificates to HMRC.

Inheritance Tax
HM Revenue and Customs

HMRC will contact NS&I and ask for the money to be transferred. This can take up to 4 weeks.

After the money has been transferred

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland

HMRC will send your IHT421 form to the Probate Registry so they can send a grant of representation to you (if you’re handling probate yourself) or to your solicitor.

In Scotland

HMRC will return your C1 Confirmation form to you so you can apply for confirmation.

If the amount transferred is not enough to cover the Inheritance Tax you owe, HMRC will write to tell you how much to pay and how to pay it.