How long it takes
Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.
You may have to attend an interview for a first adult passport.
Applications may take longer if:
- HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
- the photographs you send are rejected
Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, apply for an Emergency Travel Document.
You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £19.86. The courier fee pays for your passport and supporting documents to be sent back to you securely.
|Passport type||Passport fee||Total to pay (including courier fee)|
How to apply
You must apply and pay for your passport online.
Before you start you need:
- your current passport
- 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application)
- any other current passports issued by other countries
- a MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron, Visa Debit or Maestro (UK Domestic) card - Maestro (International) cards aren’t accepted
Read the guidance notes to help you fill in your online application. Check which supporting documents you must send with your application. Any documents that aren’t in English (including documents showing an address) must be translated by a professional translator.
You will need to print, sign and post your declaration form at the end.
Getting your passport
Your passport and supporting documents will be delivered separately by courier.
Contact the Passport Adviceline
Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)