Get an injunction if you've been the victim of domestic abuse

Skip to contents of guide

Who can apply: non-molestation order

You can usually apply if you’re a victim of domestic abuse and the person you want to be protected from (‘the respondent’) is:

  • someone you’re having or have had a relationship with
  • a family member
  • someone you’re living or have lived with

Check the following lists to make sure you can apply.

If you’re under 16 you need permission from the High Court to apply.

Husband, wife, civil partner or other relationship

You can apply if you’re a victim of domestic abuse and the respondent is your:

  • husband, wife or civil partner
  • former husband, former wife or former civil partner
  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
  • former fiancé, former fiancée or former proposed civil partner – if your engagement or agreement to form a civil partnership ended less than 3 years ago
  • boyfriend, girlfriend, partner or a person you’re in or have been in a relationship with for more than 6 months

If you were engaged to or had agreed to form a civil partnership with the respondent, you’ll need to provide evidence, such as a ring or statement from a witness who attended a ceremony or celebration.

Family member

You can apply if the respondent is a close family member, for example a parent, brother, sister, aunt or uncle.

People who have parental responsibility for your child or grandchild

You can apply if you have a child or grandchild and the respondent is the child’s parent or person you share parental responsibility with.

If your child (or grandchild) has been adopted, you can also apply to get an injunction against their:

  • adoptive parent
  • anyone who has applied to adopt them
  • anyone the child has been placed with for adoption

You can also apply for an order against the child or grandchild if they’ve been adopted.

You can report anyone who abuses you to your neighbourhood police team.