Help to Buy home ownership scheme
You can get help to buy your home if you’re a first-time buyer or home mover. You’ll need a 5% deposit for a property with a purchase price of up to £600,000.
There are 2 types of Help to Buy schemes:
- mortgage guarantee for new-build and existing homes in the UK
- equity loan for new-build homes in England
Help to Buy: mortgage guarantee
The mortgage guarantee helps you buy a home with a deposit of 5% of the purchase price of the property.
The guarantee is provided to your mortgage lender by the government - not to you. Contact a Help to Buy lender to find out more.
Help to Buy: equity loan
With an equity loan:
- you’ll need to contribute at least 5% of the property price as a deposit
- the government will give you a loan for up to 20% of the price
- you’ll need a mortgage of up to 75% to cover the rest
Contact the Help to Buy agent in the area where you want to live for more help.
Help and advice
Find more information on Help to Buy and other government home ownership schemes:
- read the guide on affordable home schemes
- visit the Help to Buy website and find a Help to Buy agent
- find Help to Buy on Twitter and Facebook
You can also get help and advice on mortgages from the Money Advice Service.