Pay for UK healthcare as part of your immigration application

3. How much you have to pay

You’ll have to pay:

  • £150 per year for a student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, for example £300 for a 2-year visa
  • £200 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, for example £1,000 for a 5-year visa

Dependants usually need to pay the same amount as you.

The exact amount you have to pay depends on how much leave you’re granted. Calculate how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

You’ll pay half of the yearly amount if your application includes part of a year that is less than 6 months.

You’ll pay for a whole year if you’re application includes part of a year that is more than 6 months.

You’ll automatically get a partial refund if you paid the healthcare surcharge for more years than you were granted leave.

When you must pay

If you apply for a visa online, you pay the surcharge as part of the application.

If you apply for a visa through a premium service centre, you pay the surcharge when you book an appointment.

If you apply for a visa by post, you must pay the surcharge online before you send your application. You’ll need to include your IHS reference number on the application form.

If you don’t pay

You’ll get an email from UK Visas and Immigration if you don’t pay the surcharge (or don’t pay enough) as part of your visa or immigration application.

Check your junk folder if you can’t see the email in your inbox.

Once you get the email, you must pay the surcharge within:

  • 10 working days if you’re inside the UK
  • 7 working days if you’re outside the UK

Your visa or immigration application will be turned down if you don’t pay the full amount in this time.