The G-Cloud framework on the Digital Marketplace
How to buy or sell cloud hosting, software and support through the G-Cloud framework.
What frameworks are
Buying services through frameworks is faster and cheaper than entering into individual procurement contracts. Buyers and suppliers still need to sign a contract (or ‘call-off contract’) for each service bought through a framework.
Read more about how the terms and conditions work.
Frameworks on the Digital Marketplace
Public sector organisations can use the Digital Marketplace to access services from 3 frameworks. You can find:
- cloud services (for example content delivery networks or accounting software) through the G-Cloud framework
- digital outcomes, digital specialists and user research services through the Digital Outcomes and Specialists framework
- physical datacentre space for services that can’t be migrated to the cloud through the Crown Hosting Data Centres framework
The G-Cloud framework
The G-Cloud framework is an agreement between the government and suppliers who provide cloud-based services.
G-Cloud 7 and G-Cloud 8 services
G-Cloud 7 and G-Cloud 8 services are divided into 4 categories, or ‘lots’:
Infrastructure as a Service
Infrastructure is the hardware that makes software work. It’s the networks, hosting facilities and servers on which platforms and software depend. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) is infrastructure you can order and run entirely over the internet, without having to pay for your own hardware.
Platform as a Service
Platform as a Service (PaaS) technologies are software platforms that provide a basis for building other services and applications. With PaaS, you can set up, order, pay for and manage platforms in the cloud.
Software as a Service
Software as a Service (SaaS) is an application or service that can be run over the internet or in the cloud. Examples of SaaS include web-based email services, customer relationship management (CRM) software and analytics tools.
Specialist Cloud Services
Specialist Cloud Services (SCS) support your transition to SaaS, PaaS and IaaS. Examples of SCS include cloud strategy, data transfer between providers or day-to-day support of cloud-based services.
G-Cloud 9 services
G-Cloud 9 services are divided into 3 categories:
- cloud hosting, for example content delivery networks or load balancing services
- cloud software, for example accounting tools or customer service management software
- cloud support, for example migration services or ongoing support
Buy services from the G-Cloud framework
Read the G-Cloud buyers’ guide to learn how to buy services from the G-Cloud framework.
Which framework agreement
G-Cloud 9 services will be available on the Digital Marketplace in May.
Submit services to the G-Cloud framework
The G-Cloud 9 framework will open for applications soon.
Read the G-Cloud suppliers’ guide to learn how to submit services to the G-Cloud framework.
If you need any more information about frameworks, email email@example.com
Published: 12 September 2013
Updated: 22 February 2017
- Updated to include G-Cloud 9 categories.
- The G-Cloud 8 framework is now closed for supplier applications. We expect G-Cloud 9 to be open for supplier applications in early 2017.
- G-Cloud 8 is now open for applications from suppliers
- First published.