This is the guide for Parole Board oral hearings.
This is the Parole Board’s Oral Hearing Guide for members.
The guide was revised in July 2014 and the most recent amendments were made in August 2018.
Chapter 1: Pre-Hearing Issues
- The Parole Board Rules
- Member Case Assessment (MCA)
- The Role of the Panel Chair
- Disclosure/withholding information
- Mental Health cases
Chapter 2: Roles & Responsibilities
- Participants in the hearing
Chapter 3: The Hearing/Procedural Issues
- Inquisitorial or Adversarial
- Order of evidence
- Admissibility of evidence
- Other Matters
Chapter 4: The Decision
- Release Tests
- Secretary of State’s directions
- The Resettlement Plan
- Licence conditions
- Foreign National Prisoners subject to deportation
Chapter 5: Equal Treatment/Diversity Issues
- Prisoners with physical disabilities
- Prisoners with learning disabilities
- Children and Young People
- Female prisoners
- Transgender prisoners
- Foreign language speakers
August 2018 Changes
- References to previous versions of the Parole Board Rules have been updated to the Parole Board Rules (2016).
- References to the ‘Intensive Case Management’ process have been updated to the ‘Member Case Assessment’ process.
- Paragraph 2.2.1 in Chapter 4 (determinate sentence cases after recall) has been changed.
- Annex A has been updated to the Parole Board Rules 2016.
- Annex E has been updated to the same version as that of Annex 1 in the MCA Guidance.