Chapter 26: Preparation of Patents and Designs Journal entries
Sections (26.01 to 26.12) last updated: March 2016
Entries for the Journal are compiled by members of Litigation Section. The entries are prepared and saved on SharePoint in the PDJ Live folder, a paper copy is also placed in the Journal folder. They are submitted to the Publication Section by e-mail on a weekly basis. The Journal entries are submitted for publication three weeks in advance.
Litigation section action
Every Tuesday, all entries on SharePoint are checked by one of the A3’s for accuracy. The formatting of the entries should be checked against Annex 2 - Formatting of adverts and the content of the entry should be verified using the dossier and patents register.
All section headings should be checked against Annex 1 - Example of Journal adverts to ensure that they are in the correct format. The following in particular should be noted:
- All adverts should be in Arial font.
- All section headings should be in bold type and font size 15
- All sub headings should be in bold and the first letter of the subheading in capital and remainder in lower case and font size 12
- The patent number should be in bold and in capitals
- The proprietor/applicant name should be in capital letters but not in bold
- The title of the patent/application should be shown. (It should be noted that we do not always have the title of section 12 PCT cases but where this is known, it should be entered)
- The outcome (filed/withdrawn/refused, etc) should be included along with the date of the action
- Where there is an inter partes application/reference, the name of the claimant party should be included
- (See Annex 2 - Formatting of adverts)
Send to publishing section
When the entries have been checked and any necessary corrections have been made, they should be re-checked by another A3.
Once the entries have been checked and any errors corrected, the electronic version of the Journal should be sent to Publishing Section via email
Sending summary listing to Webmaster
The summary listing is completed for S27 and S75 opposition adverts. When the entries in the Journal have been collated and checked, the completed summary listing will be e-mailed to Webmaster by the A3. If any amendments have been filed electronically, they should be retrieved from the “Amendments to be advertised” folder within PDJ Store on SharePoint and sent as an attachment to the e-mail.
Once the amendments have been attached and sent with the summary listing, they should be moved into the “Amendments advertised” folder within PDJ Store on SharePoint. The summary listing and proposed amendments will then appear on the Web page on the date the Journal is published.
If there are no amendments filed under S27 or S75, an e-mail notifying Webmaster that there are no entries should be sent.
Completion of Journal
The Journal entries should be sent electronically to the B3 and B2 managers within Litigation.
The compiled Journal should then be archived on SharePoint (see Annex 3 - Checklist for preparing Journal for instructions).
A blank summary listing template should be uploaded to the new Journal folder within SharePoint (see Annex 3 - Checklist for preparing Journal for instructions).
The oldest Journal within SharePoint should be deleted as part of the archiving process (see Annex 3 - Checklist for preparing Journal for instructions).
The Journal file contains a checklist which should be actioned by the A3 responsible for compiling the Journal. When the checklist is complete, the hard copies of the Journal entries can be destroyed. The A3 should update the team information board to indicate that the Journal has changed.